A tradition over 110 years old
Osteopathic medicine's roots center on the belief of the body being able to heal itself. This
holistic approach to medicine was brought to Erie in the form of a community hospital over 50 years
ago through the vision and efforts of six osteopathic physicians. These founding physicians
believed it was not up to the public to give them a place to work. They wanted to supply the
community with a place. Their dream was to provide an alternative medicine to all who wanted or
needed its benefits. Their dream was realized on Januray 15, 1950, as the Erie Osteopathic Hospital
was opened. The hospital was founded by Amedeo A. Agresti, D.O., Ben L. Agresti, D.O., Lloyd R.
Bashaw, D.O., Richard W. Cooney, D.O., Otto A. Meyn, D.O., and H. Dale Pearson, D.O.
Our founders and first
The six founding physicians purchased a stone building on West
Sixth street for the site of the Erie Osteopathic Hospital. The hospital's services included a
complete clinical laboratory, major and minor operating rooms, emergency room, outpatient service,
a delivery and labor suite, an eight bassinet nursery, full X-ray Department, private and
semi-private rooms, and two five-bed wards.
Between 1950 and 1958, many patients were
served by the growing hospital. The cases recorded include 9200 patient admissions, 5849
operations, 1558 births, and over 16,000 x-ray cases. The growing hospital was in need of
additional beds and parking spaces.
We moved to
Peach Street in 1958
So in 1958, a tract of six and one half acres in
Millcreek Township was chosen to build a larger, more modern facility. This site proved feasible,
being accessible from town and the surrounding area. The modern, one story hospital at 5515 Peach
Street, could accommodate twice as many patients and would continue to include departments in
medicine, surgery and obstetrics. It also established a department of general practice,
reinforcing its commitment to a holistic approach to patient care, which is the cornerstone of the
After only five years at its new Millcreek site, the public's
demand for the hospital's services had overburdened the facility. The Board of Trustee's agreed
that another fifty beds, plus larger labs and x-ray facilities must be added. As the facility
expanded its support services, sophisticated electronic monitoring equipment and diagnostic
equipment were purchased to maintain modern medical standards.
Millcreek Community Hospital emerged in 1981
Millcreek Community Hospital became a reality on May 6, 1981 after 31 years of community service as
Erie Osteopathic Hospital. Because the hospital wanted to forge a stronger geographic identity with
Millcreek Township, it changed its name.
Millcreek Community Hospital prides itself
in its commitment to provide the best personal care possible for patients. Expansion continues
today with the addition of a fifth floor, three story addition, manor expansions and the LECOM
Health and Wellness Center.